Actor George Clooney contracted malaria while visiting Sudan to support a referendum on independence for the South. I suppose the world will now donate another few million mosquito nets to Africa, that is not going to solve the problem.
No Hotel room should have mosquito nets; it is proof positive you are in a bad Hotel. A good Hotel has screens on the windows.
Ho, Ghana West Africa --- Friday, February 4, 2011
Do you know anyone who sleeps under a Mosquito Net in the USA?
I am sure the normal answer is No, the USA has screens on window and doors, yet we feel we need to dumb it down for Africa and send them mosquito nets. If screens on windows is good enough for the USA, why don’t we provide Africa with the same low technology us Americans have?
I woke up this morning, I was scratching my finger, somehow an annoying mosquito bit me between my finger and a welt was causing me to scratch. I went into the shower and put my hand in my bucket of water, which has about a half a cup of chlorine in it, I use this to stop bacteria in water so I can take a healthier shower.
I came in my room last night, it was stuffy hot, and I opened the curtains, stuffed them up into the top of the louvered window, and left the door open for about one-half hour. Can you remember your mother screaming?
"Shut the door, you are letting all the mosquitoes in."
I have had Malaria, and the heat forced me to risk contracting Malaria again, the heat convinced me to not using common sense, and leave the door open for a half-hour.
I am in Ho, Ghana, it is rather dry right now and truly, there are not many mosquitoes, but it rained a couple of nights ago, so we have a mosquito surge. Now, if I am in Ghana, West African, why am I now sleeping under a mosquito net? The answer is simple, most of West African Hotels have screens on the windows, but Andy still needs to keep the door shut.
Mosquitoes is Not the Problem, being Hot is the Cause of Malaria
We allow ourselves to be exposed to Mosquitoes because we are trying to stay cool, the underlying pivotal cause of Malaria are problems with cooling.
1. I opened the door because I was hot; I risked contracting malaria because of heat.
2. People refuse to sleep under mosquito nets because they are hot.
3. In many countries, everyone climbs to the roof and sleeps to stay cool, sleeping in the open air.
4. It is common to see a mother and child sleeping out in front of their home here in Africa; they want a cool place to help the baby sleep.
This is a small bed system in Niger; they put the mosquito net on the four poles at night and sleep in the cool air, optimizing their comfort. Maradi, Niger Bus Stop Photos
5. The best use of Mosquito Nets I have seen was in Niger, West Africa, this system both allows for people to stay cool, but and in turn stops the mosquitoes.
Real Solutions to Malaria
1. Install screens on windows.
2. Create and encourage a culture of outdoor bed systems with mosquito nets the same as Niger.
3. Drain opens swamps.
4. Give away Free Malaria Medicine in small village Churches and Mosques.
5. Malaria needs cured quickly, not malingering cases, so there is not a supply of infected people.
6. Stop using corrugate steel roofs that turn homes into small greenhouses. There is a need to find materials for roof that allow homes to stay cooler. Then also create home designs that use cross flow ventilation and somehow move people away from adobe huts into concrete structures that allow for installation of screens on windows.
7. A way to install window screens on adobe huts needs created.
8. Hospitals need to quarantine Malaria infected people in air tight and mosquito free rooms.
People who have Malaria are carriers of the parasite, they must be cured quickly. If a mosquito bites an infected person, this mosquito can extract blood and carry it to the next person. There is a need for super-fast curing of Malaria, and a person who has Malaria must be quarantined in rooms with no Mosquitoes until the parasites are killed.
Generally, nothing is going to work until Africa starts to help Africa, the people from these culture say to travelers like me,
"Andy, everyone gets malaria, what is big deal?"
Babies’ dying is normal, whether from Malaria or Malnutrition, this is the way life has been for thousands of years in Africa, there is nothing unusual happening, and the locals often wonder why foreigners are so concerned.
Bottom line, when a bunch of boys like George Clooney go out drinking at night, there is no way to stop mosquitoes from infecting even a movie star.
Hotel Door Lock Travel Tip Video
This is a travel tip that explains the proper methodology for locking your Hotel room door and leaving, it is not as simple as it seems, and you need to follow these instructions.
Tell George Clooney Mosquito Nets do Not Stop Malaria