Types of Internet Connections
Pokjara Nepal Asia
February 6, 2007
There are many ways to connect the the Internet and work when in Africa, Nepal, or some country.
- Walk into Internet cafe, pull the Ethernet wire from the back of the computer and connect it to you computer, maybe it connect automatically or you need to have the Internet cafe worker configure for you. If they do not know how to do, go to another cafe.
EXTREMELY DIFFICULT - Finding a telephone line to use is difficult.
- Find a land line, plug the telephone line into the the back of you computer, then buy a connection from a local Internet provider, then connect.
- Find a land line, then dial a long distance telephone call to an Internet provider in your home country and connect. (I do not know if works, never done this.)
WIFI - DIFFICULT - Because not available - Really just a replacement for the Ethernet wire system that is easy to do in an Internet cafe.
- Mostly just a toy and nice to have sometimes, but to be in the back concrete room of a hotel, it is not going to work.
GPRS CELL PHONE- DIFFICULT
- A truly wireless connection the Internet.
- A connection using a cell phone with a cell phone company that has GPRS.
Computer to Bluetooth to Cell Phone to Cell Phone company.
(The problem is most cell phone countries in Africa do not offer the GPRS connection, although as of February 2007, they are expanding rapidly, I expect within about 5 year most will offer.
Sometime the cost is nuts, a good fee is about 1 dollar per day, only two countries I know so far that work I have confirmed work are Thailand and Nepal.
- A person should take a taxi to the cell phone headquarters in the city and have them connect the computer, the cell phone and the SIM card together and explain the cost. The cost in Indonesia where there are many Internet cafes was 3 dollars per meg, outrageously expensive.
DIAL UP CELL PHONE CONNECTION TO INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER
I thought this would be very easy, I did just this 10 years ago, however I think the whole planet is anal. I try to say, I am going to dial up a telephone number of an Internet service provider, that is NOT my cell phone company, nothing to do with my cell phone company. How doe the cell phone work as a modem?
Blue tooth is just a wireless connection between my cell phone and a computer, it is not an Internet connection. GPRS is part of the cell phone company services. IF they company does not offer GPRS, than it is not going to work on the cell phone.
SATELLITE - Extremely difficult
- Need to pay about 8 dollars USA per meg of transfer.
- Need to have contract for one year
- Need to pay about 2000 US for the device
- I do not know, my GPS hand held reference marker does not work unless I am top of a building, I think I would need to be on top of a building.
- I was ready to purchase this, for true worldwide wireless connection, the company wants me to buy before before they demo.
- I do not know how this works, but seems to be a good option.
I want to use a cell phone connection, that does NOT offer GPRS to connect. I want to use my cell phone and somehow have a modem to connect the computer to the Internet by way of cell phone.
The only website that even comes close to trying to explain these differences is:
People dial home all the time with their cell phone.
I want my computer to dial home and connect, I am frustrated, I do not see why this is so hard, I am wondering if the problem is I need to always dial an ISP from a local telephone number, somehow the computer knows.
Types of Internet Connections
Togo Cell Phone GPRS Internet
Atakpame, Togo West Africa
Friday, May 11, 2007
Rules of connecting in Togo.
6:00 PM Thursday and existing internet connection in Atakpame, stops allowing a connection.
The GPRS connection I have fallen in love with is fickle lover today.
The Togocel.tg pre-paid SIM card connection here in Togo was suddenly working great for about two days, if felt like they did a software upgrade and somehow improved the connecting. Last night around 6:00 PM, the connection breaks and has not returned for 12 hours.
The reasons why this maybe is not working are so numerous; it would be crazy to list them. However, I do know, it is not working. I have developed a very strict protocol on what I have to do connect here in Togo. I have been doing this procedure daily now for about two months and I am good at it.
1. Shut off computer
2. Shut off cell phone
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Insert the Bluetooth chip into USB port.
5. Click on Bluetooth program to activate program.
6. Turn on cell phone.
7. When the Bluetooth connection shows Icon show on the telephone, walk back to computer Bluetooth program.
8. Do the Bluetooth discovery and hope you find the phone.
9. Go back to cell phone and enter PIN or code to connect the cell phone with network.
10. Wait for connection to the Togocel.tg Cell Tower.
11. Check number of Bars, and position phone in a window whereby you have the most amount of bars or best reception.
12. Return to Bluetooth connection program, and click on the proper telephone, maybe other people in the hotel have a cell phone. Mine is Motorola V555
13. This refreshes a connection between the computer and the cell phone. - Note there has to be a pairing existing between the cell phone and the computer, the codes have to match, seem a code should be easy to remember like 99999999999
14. Double Click on small telephone in the Bluetooth program.
15 A internet dialing dialog box should appear.
16. Click on dial
17. It will dial, and hopefully connect,
18. IF it does not connect, shut off both the cell phone and computer, take out the Bluetooth chip and star again to repeat. The connection needs all these procedures, however they may improve and be similar to Thailand in the future. May 2007
I have about 2-3 bars presently and I also think the computer in Lome is not connecting people on GPRS internet. It rained last night, and somehow the rain may have cause many problems. I want to learn how to amplify my cell phone reception and increase the number of bars from 2-3 to 4-5 or how many there are. I believe I can do this with a very simple antenna if I can make one, and learn how. Then I would feel better that the problem is not the reception and is really the connection in Lome, Togo.
It is very frustrating when this happens, I do not know where is the problem, and who do I call? I was in Lome, I went to the office three times and only after the third times of one hour sitting, was there a person who knew some answers. It was this big of problem sitting in the office for one hour, three times at the central headquarters of Togo of Togocel.tg, can you imagine how hard it would be to call and talk in French and wait for an explanation… duh..!
10:11 AM Friday in Atakpame, Togo in the morning, and still no connection, I wrote a text message to the tech in French to Lome and sent about 30 minutes ago, so far, no response.
I think I was connecting under a 4-5 bar situation before, now I am about 1-3 and the 3 is only when perfect. It is possible I take the computer to the roof or somewhere with a better connection and try. It appears the signal from the tower or antennae is weaker than yesterday.
I went onto the roof and it did not work.
1:10 PM, I called the techie in Lome; he gave the number of a person in Atakpame. I had a friend call and talk, which did not work; the Togocel.tg man told her I needed to come the office at 5:30.
I called myself, and spoke in French, then he said the signal had a problem and would be fixed by 5:30, but to try at 6:30 PM, I wonder what time they quit for the day, probably at 7:00 PM. I guess if it does not work tonight, I will leave Atakpame and go to back to Lome.
6:30 PM 24 hour and no connection
9:00 PM and no connection - It is TONIGHT.
4:00 AM, next morning and YES, I now HAVE a connection…
Is it you, or me this is the problem, I can spend endless hours trying to find the problems with me, when it is you. I semi have made a policy, no changes on my side in configurations for 24 hours. This time I even said, no allow them also all night to work on this problem. Then I will try my other Bluetooth chip and maybe that will help.
Optimizing the GPRS signal first is what I need to do, I need to know, I have the highest number of bars and it does not work.
I go around and around with my hosting company of my website, I want them to send me an email notification saying, we are having this problem, then I would know, it is you not me. Searching for the problem with me when there is no problem is dreadful for me. I assume I 100 percent of the time have a problem with me and will continue to first believe the problem is with me, not with you.
I have people believe to use a cell phone and connect, or to use a satellite connection is easy, I would say about the same as learning to talk Chinese.
Togo Cell Phone GPRS Internet