An adventure traveler can observe signs and identifiers of escalating violence in a specific country or region and avoid or change path.
It is December of 2010, there was just failed election in Cote d'Ivoire, there are two Presidents and civil war could erupt.
Identifiers of Escalating Violence:
1. I use Google alerts with the terms "Cote d'Ivoire" and "Ivory Coast" in quotation marks to find news or information, the frequency of reports of violence increases.
2. Extra Judicial Killings
3. The governments of the world issue, no travel warnings.
4. Peace Corps leaves the subject country.
5. United Nations personal is removed.
6. United Nations Security Forces occupy the country.
7. Reporters are attacked, or asked to leave.
8. United Nations High Commission for Refugees is making announcements.
9. People are leaving the country as refugees.
10. The borders are closed, an adventure traveler needs to be especially aware of this problem, if they are inside the country, the may be trapped until the problem subsides and could very well have visa overstay problems.
11. Amnesty International starts to make noise.
An adventure travel can do searches on Google, however Google Alerts is a more stable way of monitoring situations. The problem is objectivity, a person searching for problems will surely find information about a problem.
The violence is escalating in Cote d'Ivoire and the number of killings is growing, although I do not trust these number, I do see the growth rate as a guide to watch.