2015, after drinking water in107 countries, for 17 years abroad, I now know that with each glass there is a battle being fought the body versus germs.
There is a travel saying,
“Don’t drink the water.”
And you say,
“Sure, I will drink beer the whole vacation.”
These few words have haunted me for 17 years abroad, and in 107 countries. Each time I grab a glass, fill it with water, I think to myself,
“Is this water polluted?”
“Is this water safe to drink?”
The advice to not drink the water is impossible, of course I drank the water many times in all 107 countries, and guess what, and I am alive and kicking. What I now know, there is no such thing as 100 percent purified water, and we will avoid the conversation on chemicals in water.
The best question we can ask ourselves is:
“How polluted is this water I am drinking?”
“Will it make my body stronger?”
Germs are Normal --- About your mouth:
1. The human mouth contains around 500 to 1,000 different types of bacteria.
2. Clean mouths have 1,000 to 100,000 bacteria living on each tooth surface.
3. Less clean mouths can have between 100 million and 1 billion bacteria on each tooth.
How many germs on the glass? How many germs in the water?
So, can we now assume there is X amount of germs in every glass of water?
The problem with water is new germs; the body must build up antibodies, white blood cells, and erect defenses of against these new species of germ. Maybe a glass of water that is slightly polluted with germs would be a vaccine, too many germs and we are infected, the body is not capable of fighting off all of them. We have diarrhea, the body is in a fight to crap out all the germs, clean house, and restore a normal balance in the body’s war with germs.
Strategies for Drinking Water: First, there are 1000’s, so I am just giving you a few for thought.
1. Children after age 5 probably need to experience as many as possible, to prepare our body for old age.
2. Pregnant mothers, surrounded by children probably need to limit the number, help the body to fight of germs by stopping the other side from finding germ soldiers.
3. When it taste bad, probably best to not drink, when it has a funny color, maybe best to not drink, but in reality, it is not going to kill you.
4. Drink as much polluted water as possible in a life time, in many ways we vaccinate our bodies for he future. As we pass 60, then 70, then 80, and so on, so forth, the body’s ability to fight off these uglies decreases. The body needs to have a health defense system built in the early years of life.
So with each glass of water, make a decision, how many new germs shall we introduce to the body today? Can our bodies fight them off?
Bad hygiene, and bad sanitation, and the germs win, too few and we have no defense for old age. Plan your battles, plan for the future, drink the water, we really have no choice, our only choice is the size of the battle between the germs, and our body.
Andy Lee Graham
Kara, Togo West Africa.
I drank a glass of water in the Auberge Evala, and it tasted like algae.