Poison or Burning Water Borne Bugs

Poison or Burning Water Borne Bugs
I was sent an interesting suggestion that may help avoid drinking water problems, or help to clean water, more or less, who knows.

NOTE: Warning, this post is not about true science, use for fun thoughts. This will not protect you from un-safe water...

There are animals in my water, maybe, I have zero proof, however what the hell, it is possible… I really do not trust anyone, I need to send water to a lab on this issue.
Test Drinking Water or http://www.epa.gov/safewater/labs/index.html

Hmm, this idea may work better to clean food.

Panajachel Guatemala
Lago Atitlan - Lake Atitlan
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Blog of Andy HoboTraveler.com ---

Sugar is food for humans, it gives us energy, a piece of bread is a complex sugar, and peanut butter is packed with complicated sugars. I should not eat peanut butter it makes me fat.

Sugar is food for most animals and bugs.

What will kill me?
What will kill animals?


What will MAYBE bother these animals that live in my travel world, and 90 percent the planet in mass because they do not have clean water and do not wash their dishes correctly?
(I think the problem is food, not the water.)

I am talking about Citric Acid, the nice person who wrote me was recommending - Grapefruit seed extract. I think they are trying to tempt me, I love grapefruit juice, however difficult to buy on most of the planet. Orange juice is easy, lemon or lime juice can be made easy, however not easy to buy as drink, at least not packed with sugar. I refuse to drink mango or papaya.

Citric acid as I understand is the common acid or that sour taste that is common to all of them and really what I like, therefore I will buy lemons or limes and make pure juice. I enjoy this, however,
IT BURNS... will that burn kill something?

I cannot buy Grapefruit Seed Extract, however I can purchase cloro or bleach real easy, so the grapefruit seed extract is really something to play with in the USA, while for me, if I go out to kill something, I plan on boiling them to death, or poison with chloro.

MOUTHWASH - I use a lemon.
I also have trouble buying mouthwash, sad that people in India do not use it, and I for sure, I like to use mouthwash. hard to buy and incredibly expensive because a rare product. However, I do use Lemons as a Mouthwash, it is just my theory, not a science fact, but I believe the acid in the lemons or limes help to acid clean my teeth, clean the tongue and make my mouth fresh.

Will citric acid kill animals in my food, eating the sugars, will it annoy to death the bugs in the water? I think pure citric acid could do some good, I think maybe soaking lettuce or fruits in citric acid, and incredibly expensive process, yet would in a way kill something, it will burn skin, I sure it will do something, maybe tenderize the meat.

Just a quandary here, I do not think the use of Grapefruit Seed Extract or Citric Acid, being of much value, yet I will continue to take a wedge of lemon and bite, to clean my mouth and give me that fresh mouth feeling.

Chlorine is what the world uses to kill something in water, I think this is the full on, get the job treatment I want, but this citric acid stuff is interesting to think about.

I do think it is the opposite of sugar and instead of feeding the animals, I can burn them to death, but I will probably give myself a burn tongue also along this path, maybe my whole throat and stomach. I do not feel it is concentrated enough to kill bugs in water, but does sound like a good start to making some crap wine, because there is sugar also.

OLD WIVES TALE? Or a Urban Legends

Citric Acid?

Coke Please


Worms, Parasites, and other animals in my body, I am under the impression I took some poison last week that kills them, however not strong enough to kill me.

Poison or Burning Water Borne Bugs


By clicking on the "Subscribe to Comments" you will receive an email when members post new comments on this page

a grek woman told me that if you eat a wwhole clove of raw garlic, it will kill parasitic worms in your digestive system. Don't know if it's true.

not sure citric acid is strong enough.

While working for a parrot sanctuary, we used to put drops of what was essentially grapefruit extract into the water to purify it and keep bacteria from growing. It would actually keep the water bowls from getting slimy and dirty after the parrots dunked their food or bathed in it.

I think this may work, but in too large amounts than would be worth it. Your water will always be lemony fresh and juicy afterwards.

Andy, I would caution you about using lemon as a mouthwash. The acid will very likely lead to demineralization of your teeth. You might want to confirm this with a dentist but that is my understanding.

Grapefruit seed extract is not a viable solution, this is just a toy idea. This is not a product that anybody, anywhere on the planet can by.


...From the US FDA Website:

“…Grapefruit seed extract is reported to be inhibitory to a number of human pathogens. There has been evidence, however, that any antibacterial activity of commercial preparations is due to the various preservative agents (triclosan, methyl parabene, benzethonium chloride) contained within the product. Researchers have found that products not containing any preservatives and several self-made preparations had no antimicrobial activity (Woedtke and others 1999). In the aforementioned study by Lee and others (1998), the composition of the GFSE incorporated in the film was not discussed or examined. It is obvious that if pure GFSE is to be used, its antimicrobial properties will have to be fully investigated. If the active antimicrobial ingredients in commercial GFSE preparations are preserving agents, they may be better targets for investigation.”

Excellent Resource for all Q/A:
--We used the 4oz dropper bottles of concentrate.

Thanks Sean,

I will go and look at this stuff, safer to carry than chlorine.

I still think toy ideas, better to play around at home.

What about baking soda? Is that a viable option?

Baking soda as a mouth wash I meant.

I still believe boiling your water is the best. That and the bleach.

i wouldn´t try it neither! but it is your health.

You probably picked up a parasite, very likely when you were in Africa. Since you complain of intestinal problems please know that one and a half billion people in the world have round worms and many millions tape worms both of which reside, at least in part, in the intestine.

You could have picked up the first from a mouthful of water even in the shower and both could have come from something as simple as a salad or undercooked food. (Or even a fly that 'stood on shit' and then on your food.)

It does not sound like Giardia whose intense cramps/runs leaves you no doubt when you are heavily infected.

The problem with both Grapefruit seed extract and especially citric acid is that they are both well absorbed by the stomach so they will literally go around the infection. Grapefruit seed extract is only moderately potent.

An old cure for intestinal worms calls for a handfull of papaya seeds but that has been replaced by modern medicine.

The best cure for both round worms and tape worms is probably a single dose of albendazole http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albendazole or Praziquantel but it is mainly for tapeworms and may have little effect on round worms.

The best for treating a broad range of intestinal worms, which is used a lot, is albendazole combined with Ivermectin. About 50 studies on infected Guatemalan school children using this combination have been made. Just google 'guatemala' 'albendazole' and 'Ivermectin'.

John Pineal

My Account